[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 09:12:22PM -0000, Bob W wrote:
>
>>Your wise neurosurgeon might care to reflect on this:
>>(http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/digest/effectiveness.pdf)
>>
>>"... the average distance cycled per person in the UK each year is
>>only 62 km42 (and in the Netherlands only 850 km43), so the average
>>cyclist would expect a serious injury only once in more than 80 lifetimes.
>

> That would only be true if the likelihood of accident was directly
> proportional to distance travelled, which is a questionable assumption.
>
> Compare this, for example, to the equally often-quoted figure that
> 50% of all automobile accidents occur within 1.5 miles of the home.
> If this is true, and if the probability of an accident is directly
> proportional to the length of the journey, then we are forced to the
> conclusion that the average journey in an automobile is three miles.
> This is plainly ridiculous, so one of the underlying assumptions
> must be wrong.

Hmm, it might just be right.  In my household, besides driving to work
(15miles and 6miles), there are mostly short trips: grocery shopping 1
mile, post office 1/2 mile, gym 1/4 mile, gas fillup varies but about 1
mile avg, other shopping 3 miles, movies etc 5 miles, eating out usually
within 5 miles, dropping the kids off to school 1 mile.  I guess it
depends on how close everything is to you.  The more rural you are, the
further you have to go for everything.  For people in a dense urban
environment (and more likely to have accidents) the average driving
distance must be really short.

rg