Alan:

Once again, I invite you to read "Flags of our Fathers" or one of the other
excellent books about the battle of Iwo Jima.  The Japanese army was very well
trained, dedicated, professional, and willing to die, to the man, for their
country and their emperor.  After that battle, and the great losses suffered by
the US and its allies in Europe and the Pacific, attacking the main island of
Japan was unthinkable.  The Atomic bomb may be a regrettable choice, but I'm not
certain there was any alternative at the time but the virtual destruction of
Japan at the cost of hundreds of thousands of American lives.

Dan

Alan Chan wrote:

> I think we do not really know if dropping the atomic bombs was the "most"
> appropriated choice at that time. It might be the best option, but it might
> also be the US military wanted to use the Japanese as guinea pigs because
> those deadly weapons had not been used before, and the US spent lots of
> effort developing them. Only those who involved in the decision making would
> know what really happened.
>
> regards,
> Alan Chan

Daniel J. Matyola                  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stanley, Powers & Matyola          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Suite203, 1170 US Highway 22 East  http://danmatyola.com
Bridgewater, NJ 08807              (908)725-3322  fax: (908)707-0399