Some the shells I have had to shoot are less than 3mm and require
bellows, reversed lens or both.    These situations make it very
difficult to illuminate the subject without shadow problems.  The ring
light is the only thing I have tried that really works for all
situations.

On 12/11/06, Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I tend to shoot that stuff with a tabletop setup, not a ringflash. I
> bought one of the Lightcubes ... makes it a breeze. Set the flash up
> with a cable so it's a fixed distance from the outside of the cube,
> put a stage in the cube for the object, and use a zoom (the F35-70
> Macro does a pretty nice job of it) to nail the image size issue
> without moving the camera. Would work well with a dedicated P-TTL
> flash too.
>
> Godfrey
>
> On Dec 11, 2006, at 9:22 AM, Perry Pellechia wrote:
>
> > My wife is an avid shell collector and I often photograph what she
> > finds for record keeping and to help her identify the species.  The
> > size varies a lot, so the camera to object distance changes often
> > during a shoot.  Every time there is a change in position, the
> > exposure has to be re-determined using manual corrections (trial and
> > error).  With TTL metering the exposure compensation does not change
> > unless the camera to object distance changes a lot (more than a foot).
> >   The situtation with running full manual with digital is not
> > impossible, but it is a pita to have to make so many changes to the
> > exposure settings.

Perry Pellechia

Primary email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Alternate email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]