That's certainly the case with most buyers of base-model DSLR's, just like it
was for base model SLR's back in the days of film. I doubt its 90%, but 70% is
probably close.

Most people are quite willing to pay for capabilities they'll never use or
need, just so they can flaunt it. See most SUV and sportscar buyers.

-Adam