On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 10:31:41AM -0600, Bob Sullivan wrote:
> I'm with you Dave.  The PUG has taught me how to be better.  If you
> look at some of my original PUG contributions you will see how much
> worse I was.  I'm just happy to have crawled up to mediocre!  Average
> here is a whole lot better than Very Good in a lot of places.  (Even
> the snapshots are a cut above.)
> Regards,  Bob S.

I agree.

It's amazing how much you progress, quietly, without really noticing.
As a christmas present this year for our mothers we bought electronic
picture frames, so I had to go through and pick out a couple of hundred
images they might like.   One thing I did was to start off with the
images I had used in 2000 for a print calendar we sent them that year.
It was fascinating to see just how much better I had become at digital
image processing - the new versions I created this year were so much
better than the 2000 ones!

It was also salutary to look back at some of my earler images, and
see what I could have done differently (or, at any rate, better).
One of the calendar images was a typical pacific "surf breaking on
a rock" shot.  Even after the new colour balance, processing, etc.
it didn't look too good set alongside a snapshot from a recent trip.