Sounds like the pan is too hot.  Turn the heat down a bit, maybe to medium
or medium high, let it heat up slowly, and then add the meat.  For best
results, don't put a cold slab of meat into the pan.  Allow it to sit out
of the refrigerator for a while - maybe an hour or more depending on room
temperature and how cold the meat was to begin with.

Shel