>From: Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "pentax list" <PDML@pdml.net>
>Subject: Re: Please everyone set up an email filter
>Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:14:14 +0000
>
>On 20/12/06, Mark Roberts, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
> > Neither of us has time to
> >waste on TV.
>
>I find that incredibly naive from someone so well versed in music and
>the arts? On the whole, I would agree that most TV is absolute drivel
>and total garbage. However, there are plenty of examples of good
>documentary-making, especially in terms of natural history and music and
>the performing arts. Obviously with my career being in TV, I'm pretty
>much committed to it in terms of promoting the good things about it. I
>also fully appreciate that many people have no interest in it
>whatsoever, and care not a jot about what they might not have access to.
>But to think that I am wasting my time watching television is pretty
>severe. I certainly *have* wasted some of my time watching something I
>later regretted because it was just plain crap. I have also learned a
>great deal from seeing things that I would not normally be able to see
>in my lifetime, enjoyed fantastic music performances that I could not
>get access to, and generally been privy to some of the most wonderful
>images - moving and still - that have both inspired me and allowed my
>own personal creativity to expand in new ways.
>
>Wasting time is obviously a subjective activity ;-)
>
>Rant over !

There's also some good mindless entertainment out there.  Mostly from the
UK.

All Creatures Great and Small
The Prisoner
UFO
The Persuaders

OK, I'm an anglophile. Yes I also like the arts, history, science available
from good television.

Also lots of people learn better visually (not me probably) than through
other means such as reading or lectures.

Tom C.