Actually, you're missing something in your comparison. The mirror. SLR
wide angle lens designs are very different from RF designs. Leica SLR
lenses actually have one of the longest register distances and Canon one
of the shortest. And Leica couldn't go FF on the M because of the issue
of corner illumination, but this was due to the very close distance
between the rear element of some M lenses and the sensor (this is also
the reason for the thin and less effective IR filter on the M8) and even
then they had to do some magic (offset microlenses) to get it to work right.

Also there's the issue that Canon's ultra-wide lens designs aren't the
greatest. They're competent but not up to the better designs from the
competition.

That said, I suspect K mount won't have severe issues on full frame,
given how well adaptor-mounted wide-angle lenses from Nikon and Contax
perform on the 5D and 1Ds's (C/Y mount and F mount both have similar
throat sizes and longer registers than K mount).

-Adam