Hi,

people like Falwell put themselves into impossible positions with this
sort of opinion. If disasters like this are their god's punishment of a
sinful society then either everybody who suffers in this way is among
the "liberal civil liberties groups, feminists, homosexuals and abortion
rights supporters" or their god is highly unjust and arbitrary in his
punishments. He hasn't for instance, punished me (a civil libertarian,
feminist, supporter of gay and abortion rights) in any way that I can
discern, but he almost certainly has punished people who share the views
of Falwell et al. You'd think after an eternity this god would by now
have devised a rather better instrument than this unsubtle and
indiscriminate brutality.

Furthermore, these people seem to ignore their own Bible in several
ways. Didn't god promise to show mercy even to the inhabitants of Sodom
if there were any righteous people in the city? Do Falwell and his
supporters take it upon themselves to be less forgiving than their own
God, and condemn the innocent? Perhaps the biggest mistake that these
'Christians' seem to make is to imagine that their god is still the angry
old guy of the Old Testament. They seem to have forgotten that the New
Testament has precedence over the Old, and the message of the New Testament
is one of love and forgiveness. Neither of these qualities seems particularly
evident in the fundamentalist world view.

---

 Bob

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]