On Dec 31, 2006, at 4:31 AM, Boris Liberman wrote:

> ... see no reason whatsoever ...

Well, I disagree with that. But by all means, the FA Limited lenses
are excellent performers. Take pictures and enjoy them if you're
happy with them.

Personally, though, nice though the optics of the FA31 are, that
fixed lens hood is crap and is inadequate to the needs of the DSLR
format, makes it difficult to fit an efficient lens hood. And 31mm is
not wide enough for what I need. None of the FA Limiteds have
Quickshift focusing mounts, which is a very useful feature to my use.
The slide-out lens hood on the FA77 is again too short to be useful
(even for 24x36 format!) and liable to getting loose of time as well
Based on the performance testing I've seen comparing the DA70 and
FA77, I would choose a DA70 over the FA77 now for Quickshift ... and
BTW I really like the FA77 which I already have. I like the size and
control ergonomics of the FA43 more than the DA40 so I would choose
the FA43 first given that pair, but what I'm waiting for is a DA
series replacement of the FA35/2 AL which I find a better focal
length for the DSLRs, and it will have all the features I want.

Beyond that, I don't share your belief that the 16x24 format is
"temporary". Nor do I see any particular need for 24x36 format,
either film or digital. That format choice is arbitrary, based on
historical accident. There are certainly gains to be had in some
cases, but based on what I've seen so far they're not particularly
significant to my photography.

This has all been debated and debated ad nauseam on this list and
several others. I hope it is not so provoking as to be considered
incitement for a flame war, but I've cleaned my flame retardant suit
and have it at the ready ...
];-)

Godfrey