To expand on this, I'll also sometimes use curves to brighten the
midrange or increase contrast after I open a hot in PhotoShop. But
that's usually jsut an indication that I didn't quite get the job
done in the RAW converter. I interpolate  everything in the RAW
converter to 16 bit, 144 megabytes. After a mode change to 8 bits,
this gives me a 72 megabyte 11 x 17 file. If i'm going to print, I
frequently print at that size.
Paul