Remember that in doing RAW conversion you are performing a gamma
correction on a linear dataset. This means compressing (pushing
closer together, setting the white point on...) the high values)
while expanding (stretching apart, setting the black point on...) the
low values to fit the range of what you've captured to the
characteristic curve of human vision. You also set the gamma and
inflection point of the curve (brightness and contrast).

While both ends of the spectrum lose some data in the course of doing
this, there is far more data to work with at the high end of the
scale than at the low end of the scale if you've made a correct
exposure for the linear gamma sensitivity curve of a digital sensor.
Setting the black point too early can throw away an excess of data,
for which there is no recovery post RAW conversion. For this reason
it is suggested that you set white point, then gamma and inflection,
and then very carefully black point. While the three are *mostly*
independent of ordering, and "whatever works well" is indeed best, I
find it better to work in this order and iterate through the settings
a couple of times in small moves rather than make large adjustments
all at once.

You can always adjust the black point further in RGB space using
curves or levels adjustments, I generally prefer to preserve a little
excess data in the dark regions and make the final adjustments there.

Godfrey