I own the Sigma EF500 DG Super (PA P-TTL type, 2nd type, I think). I asked
Sigma importers for Italy about its compatibility with the K10D and they
replied "no problem, it's compatible and you can use it with your K10D".

So I took all my silliness in my hands and put the damn thing on the K10D
hot shoe, switched bot them on and started shooting some test pics: 1st =
OK, 2nd = OK, 3rd = black, all next pics = blackor almost black (only
available light was hitting the sensor) at any shutter speed. The flash
fired every time (clearly visible in viewfinder), but synch timing was
obviously off. I tried P, Av, Tv, X and M modes.

So I put the flash unit on my D: not a single flash was emitted by the EF500
DG Super over several attempts. Apparently, no synch signal was perceived by
the flash unit.

Not yet happy, I put the flash on the K10D again. Once again, the flash
fired every time (clearly visible in viewfinder), but synch timing was
obviously off, as all pics turned out black or almost black (no flash light
hitting the sensor).

So I put the flash unit back on my D shoe once again. Everythinhg was
working well again: all flashes were emitted with proper timing and proper
exposure was achieved.

So, what's the lowdown in all this madness?

Dario