Depends on who you're talking about. That was probably true for most of
the east coast tribes, who were fairly civilised agrarian peoples on the
cusp of bronze-age civilization and the West Coast tribes, who lived in
a virtual paradise. It certainly wasn't for the plains tribes, who were
barely sustinence level nomads until the introduction of horses. They
had a brief golden age between the european introduction of horses and
contact with colonists on a regular basis 150-200 years later, but
certainly were worse off before european colonization(when they really
couldn't feed themselves).

-Adam