You can easily find reference in regard to the cannibalism and other
atrocities. The NY Times printed an article in the science section a
couple of weeks ago. It's probably still online. Archaeologists working
in the southwest found human DNA in human feces. And it didn't match.
They also found evidence of infant sacrifice. Among the latter were
infant skulls with holes drilled in the back of them. Apparently, a
slow brutal death.
Paul