Not having used a Metz, every flash I have ever used has behaved more
like the AF360FGZ.  Basically because the settings were all on
mechanical switches that couldn't be set from the body.  If you look
at a Pentax AF280T or AF400T, you will see this type of unit.  Most
older flashes were like that, Vivitar, Sunpak, etc.

--
Bruce