Well, here's the archeological evidence that led the author to that
conclusion:
        * they had no agricultural technology, i.e. they were hunter gatherers,
this came from their fossilized remains + the remains of their prey
        * they were huge, large skulls and bones
        * their weapons were huge, designed to take down large game
        * they hardly lived past the age of 20, from the bone record, the
author guesses this is because of the riskiness of taking down such
dangerous prey
        * they lived right before the end of the ice age
        * their prey moved north as it got warmer
        * their prey went extinct, probably due to the global warming, which
caused their food source to go away
        * the nearest arrival of the next wave of immigrants (mongoloid) came
much much later
        * some evidence of cannibalism is present, which may or may not
indicate desperate situation, or it could just indicate some type of
ritual killing
        * their short life span created a small birth rate

So, it might not be so far fetched.  We will never know for sure of course.

rg