On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 06:04:42PM +0100, Jan van Wijk wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:06:40 -0500, John Francis wrote:
> >
> >There's a zip file, with sources, for anyone who wants it at:
> >
> >    http://www.pdml.us/raw/ShowTags.zip
>
> Compiled it without any modifications for the OS/2 (or eCS :-) platform.
> using the OpenWatcom C++ compiler
> Works just fine.

Good.  I thought I knew how to write platform-independent portable
code by now, but it's nice to receive independent confirmation.

> I was pleasantly surprised that it supports K10D compressed PEF,
> as well as uncompressed AND compressed DNG files!

The compression only affects the layout of the actual raw sensor data,
not the metadata, so that really shouldn't be too much of a surprise;
ShowTags is only looking at the metadata.  I haven't yet looked at a
compressed PEF from the K10D, but I suppose one of these days I'll
have to see if I can reverse-engineer their compression algorithm.
But that can wait until I want to play with the actual image data.

One thing I haven't checked is whether I got things totally right for
PEFs from the K10D.  The low-numbered tags in the MakerNote will be
fine, but it's possible that I got the data offset wrong.  Could you
take a look at the BlackPoint/WhitePoint tags (tag codes 512 and 513)
in one of your files, and see if they look reasonable? The BlackPoint
should be an array of four small numbers (either zero or 127/128),
and the white point should be four numbers somewhere around 8192
(except the first one is more likely to be something like 12000).

> Noticed a weird Lens-identicfication issue though, in mis-interprets
> the lens-ID for the DA-21mm, lists it as the DA 16-45mm instead.
>
> The code for the lens is listed as 07F4  (7 244 decimal) which
> is indeed listed in the HTML table I have as being the DA 16-45
>
> However, the DA 16-45 is ALSO listed as 04FE (4 254)
> while the DA 21mm is listed there as 04F4 (4 244)
>
> Perhaps the 07F4 really is the DA21mm and 07FE would be 16-45 ?

That sounds plausible.  Perhaps some other DA21 (and DA 16-45)
owners could provide a little more supporting information?

> Otherwise, great program for further study of the RAW info!
>
> (unfortunately, the MakerNotes are not preserved when creating a JPG,
> otherwise it would be easy to display the lensname on a website
> automatically using some PHP code :-)

That depends on the program you use to create the JPEG - I'm sure
some image editors will preserve all tags from the EXIF IFD.