Thanks for the replies.

However, I know nothing of DOS commands, and have no
desire to learn them.

I also do not know what the "Windows root directory"
is.  Is that the C drive?  Assuming so, I put
showtags.exe and the image file there, and used "run"
from the Start menu, with ">filename.out" added to the
string.  It produced a file called "filename.out", but
it contains nothing at all.

Gawd, I hate Windoze!  Godders, when will you have a
user-friendly Mac version of this?

Rick