Hi Peter, Doug and all,

Peter Jesser wrote:

> Has anyone had one of these? Got any thoughts on it?

Yes I have it. I didn't use it a lot but if you think it would be useful
I could post some samples to the net.
It doesn't seem so bad for me, but I have nothing to compare it to.
Is not a lens you can handhold very easily and the tripod collar is not
really sturdy but useful nonetheless. When I use it I try to keep it on
the monopod (Manfrotto) at all times.

> Not a Pentax in
> sight until I saw this Tokina 400mm at the back. M42 mount (but that's no
> problem with a converter) new, in its box, marked "Was $310, today only
> $210". That's Australian dollars! I know it isn't top drawer, but I have a
> new 400mm for about US $108.

The price is certainly interesting, although the screwmount makes it
slower to use.
I paid mine 199USD last year from KEH in BGN conditions.

> So - if you have used one and can give me an idea of what to expect, I would
> like to hear about it. I am not a professional, but some of my pics get
> published with my hunting and conservation articles. I won't get to try it
> until next weekend.

It could be a good deal but at 5.6 is not a fast lens, especially since
you're supposed to stop it down a bit.
I think it could be a fair starting point.

Hope it helps, Flavio