Just to prove that it is not just in my mind, yesterday I received the
leather to redo the radio. Perfect transaction! Just the way they all
should be. Of course, leather, unlike electronics and cameras, does not
require special packing. But fast shipping, bulletproof packing, and as
good as, or better than, described should be the goal of every eBay
seller. They are mine, when I am the seller.

Maybe eBay needs a new rating system, something like:

4- Service and merchandise beyond reasonable expectations.
3- Service and merchandise meets expectations
2- Service and merchandise did not meet expectations.
1- Service and merchandise far below expectations.
0- Deliberate misrepresentation or merchandise not received.
    Zero's will be suspended, and upon verification banned.

That would make it pretty clear that you would not want to buy from
anyone who could not maintain a 3 average. Now everything from 1 to 4
seems to be a positive which does not tell you much about the seller.

Oh yes, and any indication of rating blackmail, by seller or buyer,
should be dealt with severely.

Of course the existing rating system is really intended to track buyers,
and you only need three for that: paid quickly, paid slowly, and DNP. Of
course a DNP is annoying to a seller, but he is not out anything, he
still has the merchandise and eBay will refund his fees. Not so for the
poor buyer, he is out his money and gets no, or damaged, merchandise.
Heck, in the past they did not even offer the option of separating out
the buyer and seller ratings at least that much has improved.

-graywolf