On 24/01/07, Peter Lacus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Even ACR with its magical Color Noise Reduction Tool failed to correct
> these artifacts completely. What do you do when it occurs to you? Use of
> lower quality lens would probably help as such lens will provide
> additional anti-aliasing filter on its own, but I don't believe that
> those are so-called digitally optimized lenses... :-)

>From recollection the AA filter in the *ist Ds was a higher frequency
than the *ist D which many complained wasn't as "sharp" as its
contemporaries from other manufacturers, there's always a trade off.
The fact is that most decent lenses stopped down a little will out
resolve the 6MP DSLRs so if the AA filter has been selected to provide
a bit more apparent sharpness some occasionally aliasing in the
captures will be the outcome. How the camera's processor or RAW file
convertor software manages it depends on how "clever" the software is.

Personally I've rather the camera was engineered to minimize the
occurrence however in certain conditions (which you found)
occasionally even a spacial frequency of multiples of the native
resolution will cause visible aliasing. As others have mentioned the
crops are dark but of course that's nothing to do with the aliasing
which is plainly visible as a rainbow across the grille of the right
vehicle after auto-level adjustment. Looking at the blue bus sign at
the rear it's obviously that the grill bar frequency is far less than
the system resolution, so in this case I'd suggest that it's more a
problem in the RAW convertor, ie how it deals with regular high
frequency pattern data.

The colour noise reduction tool isn't designed to manage aliasing
errors, it's primary purpose is to manage chroma noise which becomes
more prevalent as ISO is increased. It's really a case of suck it and
see, sometimes RAW software doesn't behave the optimally so we have to
compromise. In the case of the radiator grille I'd simply create a
rough mask and desaturate it.

Cheers,

--
Rob Studdert