-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of W Keith Mosier
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 1:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: OT - digital to slide conversion

My work group, the training department for a large chemical company, just
had a meeting where I was given the task of upgrading some of our photo
related equipment.  Most of our work will be in digital, as most of the
training has transferred to computer based.  We have extensive slide files,
some of which need to be copied to digital.  Many of these slides were
taken with an MESuper and an MX (which I can't find.)  There was the
obligatory Canon AE1 on a shelf and a Nikon macro-lens (also can't find the
Nikon body).  The last photographer to work in this department, who retired
10 years ago, purchased the Pentax equipment.  I don't know who bought the
other junk.  ; )  (Now that I think about it this post is only slightly
OT.)

First thing I'll probably do is purchase one of the Pentax/HP digital
cameras.  (Can't wait for the MZ-S/digital, and the budget isn't that fat.)
I also have to purchase a new video camera and a slide/film scanner.  The
PDML has already given me some ideas about the scanner purchase.

But there was a new issue raised.  At least new to me.  I can understand if
you're limiting your recent photography (last 5 years) to digital you might
occasionally take that good photo that you'd like to share with others in
print form.  But for some reason, which could not be explained to me, my
cohorts foresee the need to convert a digital image file to a transparency.
We're not talking a large transparency for display purposes, we're talking
about your everyday, ordinary slide that you could drop into a slide
projector.  It was done in the past by a local professional lab, but no one
could tell me which lab.  I still don't understand the purpose or need
since we have digital projectors and we're copying the slides to digital,
but I'm sure that if it's done someone on the PDML knows how.  You might
even be able to explain a purpose.  Understand we're not talking about
esthetics here, I'd use the MESuper for that, most of the recent photos
have been taken with an inexpensive Olympus digital at the shortest focal
length, strong back lighting, crooked horizon, etc.  They make me cringe.

Does anyone know how to convert digital images to common sized
transparencies?  Expensive/inexpensive?  Why?

Thanks.

K.