On 1/31/07, William Robb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
I really appreciate all of the advice I've received, and I certainly
didn't mean to start an argument.  Discussion, even with
disagreements, is good, though.  My initial intention was to shoot the
wedding with the K100D, the kit lens, and a telephoto zoom.  Not
ideal, I know, but I'm not professing any ability at this kind of
thing.  I'm also not going to invest in new lenses to shoot a wedding
for free.  That will have to wait until I decide if this is a field I
want to try to make some money in.

In addition to the digital rig, I had planned to bring along the MX
with a couple of primes and some Neopan 1600 for a little contrast to
the color images.  And one other film body, just in case I have
problems with the digital rig.

Most of my shooting these days involves chasing two little girls
around, and I'm in a "fast action" mode.  The zoom lenses tend to be
ideal for this.  On the other hand, I've always preferred shooting
with primes, but I'm not good enough for the primes to offer any
sharpness advantage when shooting without a tripod.  I'm not fast
enough to keep up with the kids, either.  So I rarely use a prime lens
anymore.

I read a magazine article a while back about the wedding
photographer's lens kit.  It was an older article from the 70s or 80s,
which discussed Nikon's recommendations.  The lenses were a 35, 50,
and an 85 or 105 (I think).  Imagine showing up to a wedding these
days with a couple of old manual cameras and a few primes!  It seems
like most photogs I read about are carrying the latest and greatest
digital rigs with IS lenses, a laptop, at least one assistant, a
myriad of lights, and if they have a film camera at all it's an F5 or
a Leica.  Who the hell can afford to do weddings like this?  On the
contrary, most of the wedding photographers I actually see are either
shooting with medium format or a Fuji digital body, and working their
butts off because their assistant didn't show up or they didn't have
one in the first place.

I have a little time to prepare, and I may just decide to suck up the
expense and shoot the whole thing on film.

Thanks again, and keep it coming!

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com