On Feb 1, 2007, at 4:47 AM, John Whittingham wrote:
>> It's in the menus. I think in custom functions. But if you mount the
>>  lens and turn SR on before turning the camera on,  the SR
>> adjustment  screen will appear when you turn the camera on. Just set
>> it to 600.  I've set it to 800 with my 400 and 2X converter. Works
>> nicely.
>> Paul
>

> Ah now, is that an A series lens, or A series converter? Because
> it's not
> working with AF lenses and AF converter, it's just transmitting the
> lens
> data straight through and setting SR automatically, with no option
> in the
> menu structure to change SR, it's 'greyed out' so to speak!

If the lens fitted supplies the focal length data, I don't believe
there is any way to override the setting. That includes the lens plus
teleconverter.

Pentax-A Rear Converters do not supply the focal length data so you
can set it manually. That's the only one I have. However, this topic
came up on DPReview.com and one person posted his experience with the
Pentax-F 1.7AF adapter and the Sigma 2x APO TC ...

thread link:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?
forum=1036&message=21831766
-----------
Forum    DPReview.com "Pentax SLR Talk"
Subject          Re: Teleconvertors & anti-shake focal lengths
Posted by        McBrian  [CLICK FOR PROFILE]
Date/Time        6:44:59 PM, Saturday, January 27, 2007 (GMT)

Hi all, haven't digested all of the thread, so sorry if I'm repeating
anything, hope some of this may be of interest.

I just received a Pentax 1.7x AF Adaptor today, got for a very very
nice price and it's in as new condition too. I already have a Sigma
2x APO so I wondered how the K10D SR and EXIF differs between them,
well here are a few quick conclussions.

Penatx SMC-F 1.7X Adaptor
When you mount an SMC-A lens to a Pentax-F 1.7x adaptor you are
promted at switch on for the focal length, with the SMC-A50 f1.4
mounted the adjusted aperture of f2.8-40 is selectable/displayed in
VF and EXIF, the EXIF also displays the focal length selected in the
SR menu. MF is lit in the VF even though AF is selected, the lens
does AF though.

When you mount an F/FA/DA lens to a Pentax-F 1.7x after switch on you
can set the desired focal length by going into the Shake Reduction
menu and select whatever focal length you wish, with the DA16-45 f4
mounted the adjusted aperture of f6.7-40 is selectable/displayed in
VF and EXIF, the EXIF also displays the focal length selected in the
SR menu. MF is lit in the VF even though AF is selected, the lens
does AF though.

Sigma 2x APO
When you mount an SMC-A lens to a Sigma 2x APO TC you are promted at
switch on for the focal length, with the SMC-A50 f1.4 mounted an
aperture of f1.4-22 is selectable/displayed in VF and EXIF. No
corrections to Aperture but the focal length selected is displayed in
the the EXIF. MF is lit in the VF even though AF is selected.

When you mount an F/FA/DA lens to a Sigma 2x APO TC after switch on
you cannot set the desired focal length, the Shake Reduction menu is
greyed out, with an FA24-90 mounted the aperture range as stated on
the lens is selectable/displayed in VF and EXIF, No corrections to
Aperture or focal length in VF or EXIF

If you switch on with only the Sigma 2x attached you are promted for
a focal length but this is over ridden as soon as you attach an AF lens.

So behavior will differ based on the teleconverter and the primary
lens fitted.

Godfrey