At 09:42 AM 9/19/01 -0500, Mike wrote:

>Personally I'm extremely surprised by my own reaction to trying digital. I
>have been so loyal to my established method (dirt-simple: manual-focus 35mm
>camera, 35 to 50mm lenses, Tri-X, D-76, carefully crafted 6x9 or 7x10.5
>full-frame prints) for so long, and so skeptical of digital and everything
>about it, that I truly thought my efforts to "try" digital were nothing more
>than dutiful and that I would dislike the whole experience. I fully expected
>this. I am not a computer wonk and I dislike technology (gadgetry) for its
>own sake.

I'm totally with you on this, Mike.  I bought a 3 mp digital about a month
ago, and just relish the freedom to walk around and shoot whatever.  You
can shoot hundreds of pics in a day, get the results instantly, see what
works and what doesn't.  The instant feedback and ability to just practice
like mad results in a big boost in the learning curve.

>. First of all, depth of field is so
>great that at moderate apertures (I mean like f/2.8 or f/4) and ordinary
>camera-to-subject distances, pan-focus (i.e., everything in focus front to
>back) is the rule rather than the exception. d.o.f. at maximum aperture
>(f/1.8 on my camera) is amazing---it looks like maybe f/5.6 on a 35mm SLR.
>MACRO work is laughably easy--the camera has a "macro mode" and the d.o.f.
>is so great that it allows virtually "macro snapshooting." Bokeh is superb.
>Panoramics, even of numerous frames, are now simple.

Absolutely right - DOF is fantastic, though if you want something with a
very very narrow DOF - well, you can;t have it both ways.

I still shoot film for more serious stuff - there are not the long lenses
and marcos (with decent working room) available ofr my digital.  Also, the
image quality of a well exposed slide still beats a 3.3 MP image.  But
there are some very unique advantages to digital that are worth delving into.

- MCC

Mark Cassino
Kalamazoo, MI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]