On 2/08/07 12:45 PM, "Adam Maas", <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Kodak wants to sell its film line, not shut it down. I suspect that if
> they sell it, the film unit will outlast Kodak proper.

I understand that Fuji has been instigating "return to film" (paraphrasing)
campaign for quite some time.  Not really a front line flashy one, but quiet
and persistent one.  I read their management interview, betting that, when
digital fever begin to subside, it will be followed by the resurgence of
film.  I think they actually believe it (not motivated by film biz promotion
alone).  If they are serious about it, and persevere to preserve at least
the minimum film development/production capability, it is admirable.  At
least in Japan, many (do not know the proportion) advanced amateurs are
slowly returning to film.  I am sure some are very fussy about the image
quality and they prefer film rendition, yet some are sick of too fast a
product cycle of essentially the same thing etc.  I am sure they of course
use DSLR as well, but just reflecting on the advantageous parts of film.
Some probably do not like the trend that the photography has turned into a
processing by computer geeks rather than true sense of it, etc etc.  Curious
to know exactly what are driving them back to film.

No, I am not a film advocate, just passing info :-)

Ken