On Feb 10, 2007, at 7:31 AM, Jens Bladt wrote:

> ... However, I never really understood the thing about card speed.
> The *ist D, for instance, could only utilze a fast card up to a
> certain
> point. Cards faster thant this and that would NOT improve the write
> speed.
>
> Where would this point be with the K10D, please?

Simply put, it means the *ist D's IO transfer limit was exceeded by
cards faster than a given spec (I think it was 45x but am not sure
about that).

Since the K10D's ability to write files to storage faster continues
up to the fastest cards currently available on the market, I would
say the body's IO transfer limits have yet to be reached by current
card technology. The Sandisk Extreme III cards seem to be about the
fastest SD cards currently available, and are available in capacities
up to 2Gbyte at present.

In SDHC you can get larger capacities but, as far as I'm aware, the
fastest cards currently available are Sandisk Ultra II spec, or 60x.
The Panasonic SDHC offerings *might* be faster, I just don't know
enough about them yet.

(BTW: I was poking around the Epson sight recently and discovered
that the Epson P3000 and P5000 are now SDHC enabled. So I now doubt
that Epson is going to produce an SDHC update for my old P2000 ... Oh
well ... the price of progress. Good, fast SDHC cards and readers are
still rare so it's not quite time yet to buy into 4G cards ... )

> Back to the original issue: K10D vs. *ist D.
> I did many tests - and had to redo them many times - I had travel disc
> troubles. And I kept forgetting the the darned K10D does go b ack
> to JPEG's
> every time I trun it off (Grrr...).

Do you have RAW file format output selected in the Record Menu? or
are you switching to RAW capture mode by pressing the RAW button? The
latter always resets on a power cycle, the former should not.

> The biggest difference I found was, that the K10D overexposes the
> shots
> quite consistantly. I have no idea why.
> And I had to ficus manually on the D, because the AF is no adjusted
> right.
>
> Here's two test shots done with a FA* 2.8 80-200mm @ F.8:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/bladt/sets/72157594527835191/

Hmm. It seems to me that your judgment is very subjective. The K10D
did a better job of exposing for the darker foreground, the *ist D
did a better job of retaining the sky values with this test. With
JPEG's limited dynamic range, you don't get both. Depending upon what
*you* were trying to get out of the photograph, either one could be
better than the other.

I set the K10D to RAW/DNG and leave it that way. I see from comparing
many many DS and K10D exposures that the K10D does a better job of
exposing for RAW format: I rarely have to add exposure with the
compensation control, the DS nearly always needed +.3 to +.7 EV to
get the best results. So I fully believe that you're seeing on the
order of about a +1EV plus exposure bias with JPEGs and the K10D.

However, this doesn't say anything about image quality. It simply
says that you need to recalibrate your exposure settings for the new
body. Once you have achieved proper exposure with both cameras, then
you can evaluate how the image quality compares.

Godfrey