> Pentax K register distance is 45.46mm
> Canon FD register distance is 42mm
>
> This means that to alter an FD lens to fit a K mount  camera (without
> using an adapter containing an optical element to correct for infinity
> focus) you would have to remove over 3 and a half mil from the back of
> the FD lens flange. If you're going to use a 42mm threaded adapter, then
> add the thickness of the adapter to that. Might be problems in that
> there's not enough room on the back of the FD lens before problems start
> in terms of aperture ring etc. You may or may not have problems with the
> rear element of the lens not clearing the mirror. I don't have an FD to
> look at, but where there's a will, there's a way.
>
> I have some links on the bottom of this page that might be of further
> interest:
>
> <http://www.cottysnaps.com/snaps/mods/details.html>
>
> It's a big job but as an engineering exercise, viable, if expensive. Of
> course, as a hobbyist, cost is not justifiable so go to it!

        Registration distance will definately be a problem for this
exercise if you want to try to maintain infinity focus.  Last time I
handled an FD lens, the breech-lock seemed "smaller" in diameter to the
K-mount flange... Maybe it could be made to fit *inside* the K-mount body
by 3mm?  Of course mirror clearance is a big problem, but maybe for the
smaller mirrors of the APS-DSLRs it's OK?

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *