----- Original Message -----
From: "Pål Jensen" <
Subject: Re: lens brightness

> Bob wrote:
>
> > Now, tell me how interchangeable lenses are used along with
those fancy hand held light meters.  When you take out your
Pentax Spot Meter, do you adjust it every time you put a
different lens on the camera?  Oh, the T-value for that lens is
1/2 stop better than this one?
> > (I'm serious here, not pulling your leg!)
>

> I'm not pulling your leg either when I say that if you want
accuracy less than 1/2 stop then you cannot use a separate
meter, and that has nothing to do with the meter itself but due
to the fact that theres no way you can transfer this exact meter
reading to a camera with less than 1/2 stop accuracy.
> The best Pentax ever for exact metering and exposure is the
Z-1p because it has spot metering. a dead precise meter, a dead
precise shutter (as oppose to all early Pentaxes), exposure
setting in 1/3stops increments, and most importantly, exposure
readouts in 1/3 stop increments.

I respectfully disagree. On my view camera lenses, I admittedly
have to work in whole stops with shutter speed, but I can work
with 1/6 stops very accurately with the aperture. With the Zone
VI modified Pentax spot meter, I can measure the exposure range
of the scene quickly, and decide exactly where I want the
highlights to fall on the film slope. I can do this through
coloured filters without having to worry about non linear
response of the meter (unlike ANY built in camera meter from any
company), and transfer the reading to the lens with great
precision.

Whether I think all this precision is needed is another story
completely (I don't).
William Robb