Ivan Prenosil wrote, re effective lens aperture:

> It can't be (as people sometimes say on this list) as simple as
> lens diameter divided by focal length; otherwise my FA28-70/4
> could not be constant aperture zoom :-)

Hi ...

Like you, I don't believe it's as simple as diameter/focal length, and
somewhere i have the details of that.  I've noticed, for example, that
my Leica lenses are often quite a bit smaller in diameter than the
same focal length/aperture combination in Pentax and other SLR lenses.

However, zooms can be a constant aperture.  I have two Pentax zooms
w/constant aperture.  There is a mechanical means by which the
aperture diameter is adjusted as one moves through the focal range.
This is apart from the aperture ring on the lens.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]