On 2/16/07, Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Scott Loveless wrote:
> > I need to order a bulk loader for 35mm long roll film.  The two that
> > seem to be widely available are the Lloyd and the Watson.  Anyone ever
> > use these?  Any recommendations?
>
> I used both of these bulk loaders for many years with no problems.
> The Watson's trick frame counter and felt-less light trap is neat,
> but in general I always preferred the simpler Lloyds design. Just
> keep them clean and they're no problem at all.
>
> Used to have a few of each, I kept finding them at swap meets and
> buying them for a quarter apiece. I don't know if I still have any
> around the apartment as I gave away or sold most of the darkroom gear
> a couple of years ago. If I find one in the next couple of days, I'll
> send it to you. Just don't hold your breath... !
>
> > Also shopping for an enlarger that will handle 4x5 film.  My current
> > rig will accommodate anything from 8mm up to 6x6.  The darkroom itself
> > is under construction (the dimroom just didn't cut it) and I've
> > allocated enough space for two table top enlargers.  I have no plans
> > to make prints larger than 8x10 for quite some time.  My current
> > requirements are small (no floor models), needs to be able to handle
> > at least 4x5 (roll film would be nice, but not necessary), and
> > relatively inexpensive.  Any thoughts?  Anybody got one they need
> > hauled off?  <g>
>
> The 4x5 enlargers I used to use back in the day were the Beseler 45s.
> Wonderful old beasts. This stuff goes for virtually nothing these
> days. Just hunt around and you'll find one.
>
> Take a look at Ebay item #220079735590 ... Jeez, a Beseler 45 MX II
> Enlarger with Dichro 45 Computerized Colorhead and D.A.T.A. Module
> current bid is $31. A recent auction for a Beseler 45 MCRX Enlarger
> (item 180083930223) closed at $125. I remember when just the enlarge
> and head, no lens no carrier, would have cost 4x that used!

I saw that first one a few days ago.  Doesn't look like there's been
much activity on it.  The problem with these is that they're often
"pick-up only".  220079735590 is located in Connecticut, about 300
miles away.  I'm rather uneasy about driving 300 miles to buy an
enlarger I've never seen from a seller I've never met.  I could
probably buy Beseler Printmakers, and pay for shipping, for less than
$100 all day long.  Unfortunately, I'm intentionally making my life
complicated.  <g>

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com