What would be the benefit to someone buying their first DSLR?. Don't
discredit the allure of AF too quickly. People new to photography like AF,
and they like it a lot.

Any M42 mount DSLR would only appeal to those who already own a lot of M42
lenses. So the limited market for it would either make it an extremely
expensive piece of kit, or very cheap & nasty.

Also the inability buy a lens on demand is a big minus. Why scour eBay &
the second hand stores for the lens you want when you can buy a brand new
Canon, Nikon or Pentax AF lens?

Cheers,

Dave