Hi Paul ...

I never cared much for Microdol - the grain was too soft, likewise for
D-76 when used straight or 1:1 in some instances.  While I don't
always want large grain, I like the grain to be very sharp.  Some
developers, or some developers at some dilutions, provide a fine grain
effect by "etching" the silver crystals and softening them.  While
this may be fine is some situations, often it results in a "mushy"
look in bigger prints.

I don't use much T-grain film, although I've used, and will continue
to use, Delta 100 for some subjects.  There I use a 1:3 dilution and
have been pretty satisfied with the sharpness, especially when using a
really good lens.  Anyway, some people on other lists swear by the the
new emulsions in developers like Rodinal, and others swear at 'em.
I've seen no consensus.

I've been experimenting with Fuji's Acros, too.  Thus for I've not
fine tuned it enough to get a good sense of how I might like it, but
my sense is that it's a fine film with great possibilities.  I've got
a few more rolls to process this weekend and by then I should have a
better idea about it.  But that's being processed in ID-11 1:1 as I've
not been able to find much information about time/temp anywhere, so
1:1 is my starting point.  I have a sense that it might work very well
with Rodinal or ID-11 1:3, but I'll have to work out the time/temp
without any guidelines.

Keep us posted on how things work out.  Perhaps these "more
conventional" films will allow for more interesting photos that'll
stand out somewhat from the T-grained crowd.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]