You're welcome, Tim.

Performance on Windows XP/PC hardware is often also compromised by
the lack of the SSE2 instruction set, and at least one person on this
photo.net thread (last posting) reported a big improvement in
performance when he upped his RAM from 1G to 2G:

   <http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00K713&tag=>

I don't know much about how or why Windows XP monitors the "My
Documents" directory tree, can't really say anything further about
that. For my purposes, I am working with the default library created
originally by the beta release version in the original location, but
I pruned a lot out of it and am rebuilding my Lightroom environment
more systematically now in an alternative location.

A comment by another person with more experience than I have incited
me to consider doing this ... the ~/Pictures directory is used by a
lot of Mac OS X system and user applications for their default
storage space with photos, so he suggested protecting my work in
Lightroom and Photoshop by moving my photos to their own independent
directory. So I've created the ~/Photos directory now and have moved
all my year by year photography folders from ~/Pictures to that
location, reset my backup software to use the right source destination.

The same kind of thinking is probably valuable in the Windows XP
environment.

Godfrey