----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Stenquist"
Subject: Re: beauty shot: Pentax K10D- 17mm lenses are out there

> As someone pointed out to me, there's a halo on the right front tire.
> That's generally the result of oversharpening, although I see nothing
> else here to support that. In any case, it's not important. The lens
> performed well, as did the photographer.
> Paul

>> Regarding the contrast, I already noted the
>> SCENE exceeeded the dynamic range of the camera,
>> there is nothing that can be done to "fix" that
>> other than to buy a better DSLR camera, if one even
>> exists in that regard.

DSLR cameras are showing 10 stops or more of dynamic range, which is about 3
stops more than that of print film, probably 5 stops more range than slide
film.

Quoting Roger Clark
(http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/film.vs.digital.summary1.html):

 "There seems to be an urban legend that says digital cameras have less
dynamic range than film. The legend is wrong. ...... The slide film records
only about 5 photographic stops of information (a stop is a factor of 2, so
5 stops is 32). The print film shows about 7 stops of information. The
digital camera shows at least 10 stops of information (this test was limited
to 10 stops). Other tests show the Canon 1D Mark II camera has about 11.6
stops of information (a range of 3100 in intensity). Other DSLR cameras,
like the Canon 10D have around 11 stops. "

The better DSLR exists already.

William Robb