From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Christian
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:41 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Macro Lenses

J. C. O'Connell wrote:

> But the topis was a ONE
> LENS macro setup, and for only one
> lens those long lenses are too long
> for general purpose macro IMHO.

And that's your opinion which does not match MY opinion for MY one lens
macro kit.

> What make 300mm and 500mm true macro
> lenses are you using? I have never
> heard of any for 35mm/APS unless
> you are just using regular lenses
> with extensions.

The 300mm is a Canon 300mm F4 L IS and it focuses to ~4ft for 1:3
magnification which is just about perfect for large butterflies (even
better with a 1.4x TC).  The Sigma APO 300mm F4 AF MACRO lens I had
before had very similar characteristics.

I know at least one guy that uses the 500mm with a 1.4x TC and 25mm
extension for butterflies.  I have not tried mine in this way.

My point is that 50mm is not long COMPARED to 300mm or 500mm.

--

Christian
http://photography.skofteland.net