Just because a lens is marked MACRO doesnt
mean its a true MACRO lens. Telephoto lenses
are not going to be as good as non telephoto
lenses at same optical and build quality.

I think there is some misunderstanding or
disagreement on what a true macro lens is.
IMHO, its a lens OPTIMIZED for higher magnications
with minimum geometric distortion. Lenses
that are just marked macro or can do high
magnifications but are not optimized for
those higher magnifications are NOT true macro
lenses IMHO.

Regarding working distances, the 50mm f.l.
ON APS gives much better working distances
than it did on on 35mm FF format for same
subject framing. This is because you dont
have to get as close (or need as high a magnification) to fill the frame
on APS as you did on FF 35mm. I really like
the 50mm F.L. MACRO on APS. I have longer macro lenses too,
a 90mm Macro, and a 135mm Macro, but on APS I actually have wished
for a 35mm macro instead recently which I don't have.

jco