Your original was rendered extremely dark, Russell. It's a simple
landscape scene ... rendered up with a bit bit of balancing between
water and sky, you get this rather nice, rather serene feel out of
it. I took the liberty of doing a couple of edits to give you an idea
where I'd go with it... It includes your original so you can see the
differences easily.

http://homepage.mac.com/godders/rk2882/

This is a case where if I was using Lightroom I could likely do most
of what I did with its tools, and presuming I had the RAW file to
work with, but with just an 8bit image file to work with Photoshop
allows the kind of gentle, selective editing required to bring this up.

1- Don't underexpose. Determine where the brightest elements are that
you want to retain detail in and expose correctly for that ...
Placing exposure properly like that takes a little time to figure out
and if you're not sure you should bracket exposure around it. The
histogram shows you an approximation based on values in the JPEG
preview that is rendered for every file, but if you're capturing in
RAW you can work with what looks like a little bit of highlight
overexposures on the histogram. It's not rigorously calibrated, you
have to work with it to understand what you're seeing.

2- Yes, this is a problem. Your screen looks overly bright compared
to the ambient light and that's tricking your eye. Better to
calibrate and profile the screen in modest, normal room light and
work that way so that your eyes and the screen are at proper
luminance values. I calibrate my screen for 140 lumens, gamma 1.8 and
5500K white point in normal, indirect room illumination. Move any
light that glares on the screen to a different position so that's not
a problem. This will make a huge difference in how your photos come out.

Godfrey