Following on from Boris' post, if it hasn't been done already, you
need to update the firmware to the latest rev for the *ist D.

First check what firmware version it's running: With the power off,
hold down the Menu button and keep holding it when you turn on the
power. The firmware revision will be displayed on the LCD.

The latest firmware for the *ist D is v1.12. If you don't have that
revision installed, go to
<http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/show_firmware?firmId=1>,
read the instructions, download the update and install it.

---

Glad to hear you're having fun with the camera. If you use Lightroom,
you can create a default Develop template that renders your photos to
B&W when you import them ... never have to see that nasty color
stuff. ;-)

Godfrey