Hello Scott,

The room does seem a little challenging.  One big issue is the height
of the ceiling.  My umbrellas have a removable back that allows them
to either bounce or shoot through.  When the ceilings are high I can
use them for bouncing the light, but if the ceilings are lower, then
shooting through saves me several feet.  So that is one suggestion -
get shoot through umbrellas.  Basically you need to have the light
high enough for the shadows to fall behind your subject.

As to backdrop, Bill Robb has talked a few times about more of a
muslin like drop that you can make yourself - maybe he'll chime in.
In that size of width, some natural folds to the cloth might look less
antiseptic than seamless and might be easier to deal with.

For lights, I use the Alien Bees.  They are priced very competitively
and have features to match the high end systems.  My understanding is
that they are lighter duty, so wouldn't be a good choice for a studio
that is shooting day in and day out.  But for my usage, which is much
more hit and miss, they are excellent.  It is certainly worth checking
them out.

Anyway, some starting advice - hope it helps.

--
Bruce