Scott,

Will you be shooting digital or film, or both?

What is your budget?

For digital some of the new continuous lights that use fluorescent
tubes are great.  Good light quality like hot lights but almost no
heat. And WYSIWYG, unlike studio flash.

If you want flash, you can't go wrong with AlienBees.  Made to very
high standards.  Fan cooled.  Modeling lights and replacement flash
tubes readily available if you ever need them.  Wide range of light
modifiers available from them and other companies.

My studio was set up as a teaching studio and I have three shooting
areas that are set up with lights all the time. I have three
AlienBees in one set, and have been running them heavily since they
first came on the market in 2003.  I've yet to need to replace a
flash tube or modeling light.

I have Multiblitz monolights (3) on another set, and Visatek (from
Broncolor) on the third set.  Both produce excellent light quality,
but modeling lights are harder to get and more expensive, and light
modifiers from the companies are expensive.  I also have a bunch of
White Lightning units of various vintages that I use when I need more
lights for a particular project, and some JTL equipment.

I've tested just about every brand of studio flash at one time or
another for my magazine articles/books, and really do think that
AlienBees is the best value per dollar currently available.

Bob