I'm using Transcend 150x 2G cards most of the time. They work great,
$21 each from NewEgg.com.

I've never had any problems with Photoshop temp files on Mac OS X.
Must be a Windows thing.

DNG files created in the K10D are larger than PEF files (average 16M
vs average 11M) due to the fact that Pentax applies lossless
compression to the PEF files but not to the DNGs. I keep the K10D set
on RAW/PEF to save space on the card, then auto-convert them to DNG
on import to Lightroom. Lightroom's DNG conversion produces the same
file size as the PEFs on average (so does DNG Converter if you leave
the lossless compression option turned on).

Godfrey