I can only begin to imagine what the deforestation by Europeans in
America meant. I've seen some stuff on the Redwoods of California, and
that alone is a pretty sad chapter.

Come to think of it, the Redwoods do grow rather old don't they? A
couple of thousand years for re-naturalisation is perhaps quite close
to the mark there?

However, for the dominant tree species up here in the Frostpit (spruce
and pine), 300 years is a very decent age. That's also the threshold
they've set for SNAW status. After one and a half cycles (450 years),
you'd have the full spectrum from saplings to the last stage of
decomposition. By then, all signs of past human management will be
invisible. Other remnants of human presence may linger, but how long
are arcaeological remains interesting for the current status of the
forest. :-)

We have an interesting case in Norway these days, an area called
Trillemarka. WWF, for example, runs the protection case as a campaign.
They have an English text on their case here:
http://passport.panda.org/campaigns/campaign.cfm?uNC=08314749&uCampaignId=1461

The conservationists have argued that this area has seen no human
exploitation for at least 300 years, and is therefore SNAW. With
protection, it will almost double the total area of protected old
forest in Norway. Scientists sampling the area, however, have brought
back photos of moss-grown stubs and house fundaments from the core
area. C14 dating shows the remnants to be no older than 150 years,
IIRC. The conservationists suddenly found themselves in a bit of a fix
because of their emphasis on SNAW status.

The area in question is a beautiful place and would deserve protection
based on aestethics alone, though. The jury's still out on the issue,
so fingers crossed.

Jostein

http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/
http://alunfoto.blogspot.com