Someone from one of my other lists wrote me about a similar problem
so I did some testing with my K10D. I found no problems, testing with
alignment visually and with a hotshoe-mounted bubble level (camera
mounted on tripod) or just visually, aligning with the top edge of
the frame or the left focus bracket edge (hand-held). Variations on
alignment between the four methods were within about a degree,
measured with the Photoshop tool.

When I'm shooting with a tripod and doing careful setups, I check
alignment and exposure with the digital preview function, adjust the
tripod per a reference element of the framed scene (horizon or
vertical building edge/window).

When I'm shooting hand-held, I expect a small amount of mis-framing
through rotation. I've found that the amount of rotation I get with
the DS, K10D, Sony R1 and Konica Minolta A2 has been about the same.
And the amount of rotation I used to get with my 35mm film cameras
(Nikon FM/FE/F3 and Leica M), the Panasonic FZ10 and L1 is less, on
average. I attribute this to the latter cameras having a shutter
release that is on top and operates in a completely vertical
direction, rather than angled down and back from in front of the
camera's centerline, at least when I'm working from eye level. It
seems easier and more consistent to hold the camera level with the
simple vertical release action.

Godfrey