Richard,

Apologies for the mis-ID. I was sneaking in some list reading and was
rushing a bit. Your patience and persistence certainly paid off, and your
inching must be very smooth! I've never managed to get that close even
without a camera.

If Tiger beetles were the size of dogs ... I'd probably be able to perfect
my inching technique (though I'd be moving in an entirely different
direction).

My setup is very much the same as yours, but w/available light (zx-5n, fa
100/2.8). Serendipity was a huge factor in my shot as I was still in a
crouch after having snapped this, http://pug.komkon.org/01feb/blue.html ,
and turned my head to discover the Monarch working the clump of blue mealy
sage directly behind me! Very rewarding morning.

Happy shooting,
Dan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]