Scott Loveless wrote:

>Assuming that the "official" judges are
>employed by either Pentax or a company contracted by Pentax to operate
>the gallery, they have an obligation to properly select photos that
meet
>Pentax's criteria.  One could also assume that Pentax is interested in
>displaying photos that demonstrate the benefits of owning a Pentax
>camera.  Regardless, the judges have some motivation for doing their
job
>per Pentax's instructions - employment.  I have no idea what qualifies
>the judges for their jobs, but I hope they have a background in
photography.

>Lots of assumptions, huh?  I don't think they're too far fetched,
though.

>From the feedback we've received from people at the Gallery, I'm pretty
sure the official judges do have a good background in photography.

The rate at which submitted images have been getting approved (or not!)
has been getting slower and slower (I'd almost given up on submitting
because of it). They're clearly unable to keep pace. Since there is no
fee for participating in the Gallery, it's safe to assume they don't
have the budget to simply hire more staff. It seems to me they've found
a very reasonable way to deal with the situation: Leave final say with
the official Judges but give the Gallery members an initial say in what
makes the cut. It may not be perfect, but it seems like an excellent
compromise given the constraints they're under.

I just did some browsing through the Gallery and was pretty much
knocked out by the quality of photographs on display. I have no problem
at all with my work being judged by the people who produced such work
(especially as they're just providing a first-level filter for the
official judges).