As in most cases, Shel, I agree with your analysis.  However, I'm not sure
that I understand your reasoning as to why a prime should be deemed better
for street shooting than a zoom other than perhaps its size and weight could
give it some advantage over a larger zoom.  On my MZ-S the AF zooms I use
are extremely easy to use and, in my opinion, add to street shooting since
they allow me to approach some subjects even closer than I could with a
prime without getting into their personal space.  I will admit, however,
that that big, 77mm "eye" pointed at someone can be somewhat intimidating
and hard to disguise.  I'm heading to Italy in two weeks and plan on taking
nothing by my 28-70 and 20-35.  I'll see what happens.

As to enlargement size, I regularly go to 11x14 and frequently 16x20 and am
very pleased with what I get in return.  Poster size or larger?  That's when
I start thinking view camera and then, of course, primes are the only way to
go (unless I've missed the fact that Rodenstock now makes a great zoom with
a Copal shutter).

Photo manipulation?  Don't do it, never have, never will.  (Oops!  Never say
never.  I'm real interested in that new Canon FS4000US scanner B&H is
selling for $874 right now).

As to the varifocal issue, with today's AF capabilities even on the most
basic cameras, the time it takes to compose, focus, zoom, re-focus with a
zoom lens generally should always be far faster than compose, focus, CHANGE
LENS, re-compose, re-focus with a prime.  However, since speed isn't the
real issue here, you are correct in your definition of a true zoom lens and
the accompanying issue of having to re-focus at varying focal lengths.  I
can't speak for others but with my various Tokina's this hasn't been a
problem since they respond extremely fast, especially on the MZ-S.

WELL, since it appears that I'm the only one on this end of the pool, I
guess it's time for me and my zooms to slink off into the corner and play
another game of FreeCell.

Dave

BTW, Shel - I don't care what anybody says, I don't think you look anything
like Hannibal Lecter.  I was thinking more along the lines of Abby Hoffman,
but, of course, that's just my opinion!