From:
Steve Sharpe
> At 6:33 AM -0400 8/7/07, Bob Shell wrote:
>> On Aug 6, 2007, at 9:20 PM, Steve Sharpe wrote:
>>
>>>  I have a friend who owns another store that is virtually all film
>>>  cameras (Classic Camera in Biddeford Maine). His sales are steady as
>>>  well, though he makes most of his money repairing film cameras. He
>>>  has as much repair business as he can handle. People want to hang
>>>  onto their film cameras.
>> I didn't say it in my original post, but my friend's shop also offers
>> camera repair and does quite a bit of it.
>>
>> The Camera Fix group on Yahoo stays busy, and posts about repairing
>> digital cameras are rare.
> My friend has commented on that as well, in that most digital cameras
> (and he was referring to point and shoots) are not designed to be
> repairable if something goes wrong. So, the cost of actually repairing
> one - if it can be done - is far more expensive than going over to
> Wal-mart and just buying a new one.

Have to laugh about that one.

I've got a Canon Point 'n Shoot digital; A60, IIRC. The Army gave it to
me for documenting safety issues when I was in Iraq, but it died about
halfway through the tour. Brigade S-4 instructed me to trash it, because
it was not economically repairable, so I dumped it in a duffel bag and
forgot about it.

But near the end of 2005, I saw it was one of those listed as affected
by a Sony imaging chip recall, so I said "What the heck", dug it out and
dropped it by my local camera shop (Canon dealer).

Their repair guy sent it in to Canon who repaired it under warranty.