[impatient? scroll down for the link]

I shot my first wedding this past Saturday. Luckily, I was *not* the paid
wedding photographer. Instead, some friends of mine who have a videography
company let me tag along under the guise of their "still-shot assistant".
In any event, I thought I'd share my experience in hopes of any helpful
comments, criticisms, etc. Long story short, I learned that I am not ready
for "prime time" just yet. But the practice was invaluable.

To state the obvious: shooting a real wedding was a whole lot different
than sitting around the house thinking about it! And getting practice in a
situation where there was almost no pressure was great0, especially given
the fact that I'm not all that thrilled with the results. If I was getting
paid as the main photographer, I would definitely be stressing right now
over the quality of the pictures. But one thing I will say is that I
LEARNED A LOT!! For example...

1. My autofocus is WAY too slow. FYI, I shot with 2 K10D's, a sigma
70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, and the Pentax 12-24 lens. Granted Pentax is
known for having slower autofocus than Canon and Nikon (begin debate
here)... but I've never seen this become a huge factor until Saturday...
maybe because I mostly take pictures of waterfalls, landscapes, and my son
who can't walk or crawl yet. Anyway, I missed a lot of shots while the
camera hunted for something to focus on. And many of the shots I did fire
off were blurry beyond salvaging due to my shutter speed being too slow.
In the end, I ended up having to switch to manual focus for almost
everything just for insurance purposes.

2.  My #1 objective was to not be seen or be a distraction to the other
photographer, and with that I thought I could get away with not using
flash for the entire ceremony. Big mistake. This particular church is on
television almost every day, and so they have great tv lighting. I did
some test shots the night before and the light temp seemed perfect w/o a
flash. Well, I don't know what happened from one day to the next, but all
of my photos in the sanctuary came out with the worst reddish yellow hue.
Example here:

http://exposedfilm.net/wwsmith/yellow.jpg

I haven't a clue how I didn't pick it up during the ceremony, but I
didn't. So of course it was a fight to neutralize everything in Photoshop.

3. Probably the most important thing I messed up...  I blew the exposure
on all of the brides dress photos (d'oh!!). I think this is the one I
would've got murdered for if I was the "real photographer". Absolutely no
detail in her dress. Just a big white mass. My guess is that I should have
exposed for the dress and let everything else fall into place. If the
tuxedos ended up pitch black, I think that would've been better. But a
bride expects to see every trim line, lace, and bead on her dress in the
photos. So I messed up big time on this one. According to all of my
photos, the bride just had on a big bright white sheet.

But the tuxedos look sharp! (ha)

4. This is the only one that I couldn't do anything about. Being 5th in
line behind 3 videographers and a paid photographer, I didn't want to move
around too much, so my angles were limited. To be honest, even the paid
photographer was in a number of spots that I don't think I would've been
comfortable in (seemed a little intrusive). The funny part is, I've got
about 5 shots that would've been great... but they've all got some body
part of the other photographer in them (head, arm, shoulder, etc.) It's
actually kinda funny. But hey, at least I know I stayed out of his way.

5. My flash recycle time was unbearable. I used the AF 540FGZ on both
bodies, and switched batteries on each one during the wedding. I missed SO
MANY shots because the flash was recharging. The first thing I did on
Sunday was to order the Power Pack III from B&H. Hopefully that will make
a huge difference the next time around (which is next Saturday, I think).
Obviously I really need two, but alas there *is* a budget.

And without further ado, here are the wee bit of keepers I managed to
salvage from the shoot. As always comments and suggestions are welcomed
and encouraged.

http://exposedfilm.net/wwsmith

I'm looking forward to my next opportunity to see if I improve.

Thanks for reading.